Monday, January 5, 2015

Healthy/Paleo Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato




 So I am kind of on a new adventure.  I am wanting to get healthy.  I know pretty cliché with it being the new year and everyone making resolutions.  I have been working on this for alittle while and I have been working out at Vernal Personal Trainers and I have learned so much from Sarah.  So I am loving this exercise thing and I have seen some great results without changing my diet or really watching what I have been eating.  I am wanting to get more results so I am changing my eating alittle bit and be more aware of what I am putting into my body.  I have felt so much better have more energy.  What can hurt by changing my diet it can only get better from here right?  I am slowing introducing my family to paleo type meals but we aren't going to go crazy.  I will modify them for my family like I did tonight.  They don't like sweet potatoes so I bought buns and put mac and cheese with it.  I ate mine on a sweet potato and it was really yummy and really filling. 

To get your sweet potatoes cooked.  Preheat oven to 450. Wash the potatoes really well and dry them so they don't have excess water on them. 
 After you have dried your potatoes really well poke several holes in them.  Take some aggression out on them. 
 Place them on a foil lined cookie sheet.  Bake for 30 minutes then turn them over and bake for 30 minutes longer. 
After they are done they should look like this and soft.  Yummy goodness right there. 
 While you potatoes are cooking chop all your veggies up. 
 After you get veggies chopped.  Place celery, onions and garlic in a either a pot or skillet.  I love my enamel lined cast iron pot.  I added in a tablespoon of coconut oil.
 Saute your veggies in the coconut oil until tender. 
Add in the hamburger and brown. After the hamburger is browned add in
green and red peppers
 
honey, we were lucky and got some really yummy honey from a bee keep in Manila this year.   
Chili Powder and cumin  
 Add in diced tomatoes and tomato paste
 Incorporate everything and simmer for 15 minutes.
 
 
Serve over a sweet potato. 
 
 
Paleo Sweet Potato Sloppy Joe

Ingredients:

4 prebaked sweet potatoes
1 1/2 lbs hamburger
1/2 onion, chopped small
1/2 green pepper, chopped small
1/2 red pepper, chopped small
1/4 cup celery, chopped small
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons honey or coconut sugar
1 14oz can diced tomatoes with liquids
1 6oz can tomato paste


Saute onions, garlic, and celery together in a skillet until onions are tender.
Add and brown hamburger in the same skillet.  Next add the spices, honey and peppers

Pour in can tomatoes and tomato paste.  Simmer all together on low for about 15 minutes.  Finish with salt and pepper. 

Cut sweet potato in half and scoop out a portion to form a little bowl and fill with sloppy joe mixture.  Or you can slice up each potato into wedges and pour sloppy joe mixture over.  Serve hot and enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment